So a few days ago, I made fun of the "moral" of the Disney/Pixar movie "Wall-E" on my front page. I should do stuff like that more often. Not only do I always get people emailing me to thank me for being the "one person who isn't afraid to speak their mind" (hey, I'm not being paid to be a movie Site Tracking Adventure #5: JULY 12, 2008
corporate yesman critic, so I can), but it provides good material for the Site Tracking Adventures.
Update 2009: This link is dead and I made the regrettable error of not screencapturing the posts in question (which I now do on all future STA's). The forum still exists, but the topic does not. To recap what happened, a user going by the name "Mondo Midna" got really upset with me for making a joke about Wall-E. He posted a link to my site, but was terrified to actually say my name (which is pointless, since my name is in the site's URL). I registered to point out his hypocrisy in his reply to me, and the rest of the forum started in with their "Mother Bear" routine, so I took it to the RAU.
1. It's bad enough when forums are full of people with indistinguishable generic anime/game character avatars, but this one ASSIGNS you one. Yes, I got assigned a Jigglypuff. Don't know whether it was my female charms that caused me to get something so utterly "pink", or if they really expect every new person who registers to be under the age of 8.
2. The forum banner does not link back to the main site's page. A huge "no-no" for forum design.
3. I don't see why "Mondo Midna" is acting so butthurt. I'm only doing what the movie is saying people should do. By running out and spending all my money on Disney and Pixar toys (which it seems he wants me to do), I'd just be contributing to Wall-E's pile of garbage. Mondo's Hypocrite points increase by +1.
4. Mondo Midna criticizes me "for no reason", by saying I criticized something "for no reason". Mondo's Hypocrite points increase by +2.
5. I wonder why Mondo Midna was too afraid to invoke my name? Perhaps he was concerned it would show up on search engines and I'd find it that way, but then he links to the site!!!! Here's a newsflash, Mondo: It's called "Site Tracking Adventures" because we have a little thing called "SITE TRACKERS".
6. This forum and site uses the words "newbie" and "noob" in more places and more frequently than any other site I've seen before in my life, and remember I've been around the WWW since 1995. That, along with the Pokemon avatars and the pervasive raw stench of "LOL! N64 Kiddies!", suggests it probably should be sent back to 1995 where it belongs.
7. Actually, I've changed my mind. The random avatar assignment could be a good thing. I only suggest they add this one to the lineup:
Comments from the RAU Gallery:
|Jack: Wow, that guy isn't at all perpetuating the stereotype that modern Nintendo fans are thinskinned little crybabies. He doesn't even give a single rebuttal to FO's argument, he just whines about it.|
|Cory: Yeah, give me a break. Of all the praise this movie's gotten and all the money it's made, it's not like one person joking about it is going to cause it any harm. Some people just have no idea how comedy works.
|Talon: I'd also like to point out that some critics actually have made the same observations about Wall-E. So, uh...yeah.|
|Jack: Oh, man, head explosion territory right there. Better stand back and get your umbrellas before Mondo sees that link.
|Cory: Didn't your umbrella turn into a monster about 48 episodes ago?|
|Jack: Oh, yeah, that's right...Mind if I borrow yours?|
|Cory: Go right ahead, but you better hurry up and get over here, I think he's about to click on it...
|Jack: Shit, man! |
|Talon: Did that turn your stomach, Jack?|
|Jack: No. It's just that Mondo was older than I expected.|
|Cory: C'mon, guys, let's go get lunch.|
|Talon: After just witnessing that!? Are you kidding me!?|
|Cory: Well, we have to end the sketch somehow.|
|Jack: Hmmm...What would Christopher do?|
|Talon: Yeah...what would Christopher do?|
|Christopher: LOL! Disney is Evil!|
|Cory: Okay, now can we get lunch?|
|Talon: Yeah, I guess so.|
|Jack: Good answer!|
|** CLICK HERE FOR EXTRA INSIGHT FROM THE FORUMS **|